Camp Niagara vs Niagara Camp: Which is it?
The first summer camp at Niagara in 1871 was designated, 'Niagara Camp', following the British tradition of using the geographic name first as in 'Witley Camp' and 'Shorncliffe Camp'. Niagara Camp remained the official government and postal name through the Great War. Gradually however, the American practice of designations as in 'Camp Dix' or 'Camp Fuston' took hold as in newer Canadian camps such as Camp Petawawa or Camp Borden. By World War II, 'Camp Niagara' became the official appellation. Hence for surviving veterans of the camp or indeed the older citizens in town who still recall the camp years, 'Camp Niagara' is full of rich memories.